2.5 Day Verbal Defense & Influence Practitioner Certification
This 2.5-day course will certify you as a practitioner of Verbal Defense & Influence.
This well-researched and field-proven methodology has been taught to over 1 million individuals worldwide since 1983. It is also the subject of four books, with over 300,000 copies sold.
The new Verbal Defense & Influence curriculum is focused on:
- Preventing interpersonal discord
- Managing verbal abuse and bullying
- Defusing confrontations
- De-escalating violence
- Generating voluntary compliance
- Building cooperation and collaboration
- Improving customer service
- Lowering workplace stress levels
- Enhancing professionalism
In crisis situations, Verbal Defense & Influence provides an approach for deciding — in the midst of conflict – when de-escalation is no longer possible and definitive action must be taken.
Even in the absence of conflict, Verbal Defense & Influence improves an individual’s interpersonal skills, self-confidence in dealing with others, effectiveness in responding to others, and ability to maintain mental and emotional safety.
Verbal Defense & Influence has applications in crisis interventions, workplace relations, customer service and personal interactions.
Organizations that have benefited from Verbal Defense & Influence training include police, corrections, private security, health care, military, education, business, social services and mental health. On an individual level, anyone who deals with conflict at work, school or home gains great value from this training.
This is a basic certification program that thoroughly covers the Verbal Defense & Influence methodology.
Verbal Defense & Influence classroom training is not lecture-based; it employs an experiential and learning-centered approach called Interactive Performance-Based Instruction. This approach uses guided discovery, simulation scenarios, videotaping to capture student performance and positive group debriefing techniques.
- The five universal truths of human interaction
- Dignity – the core need of every human being
- Staying professional in a crooked world
- How to manage verbal abuse – not just take it
- Creating a respectful work environment
- How to communicate with difficult people
- Powerful tactics for persuasion
- Making ethical interventions before bad things happen
- Engaging in active listening
- Knowing when to act and, then, how to defend your actions
- Reducing the risk of conflict when making an initial contact
- Seven things never to say to anyone — and what to say instead
- How to get your message across, even when dealing with difficult people
- How to remain under emotional control during disagreements
Audience: This course is open to any individual who wants to significantly improve their communications skills, ability to respond to conflict and overall confidence in dealing with others. Individuals who have benefited from this course include public safety and private security professionals, nurses, military personnel, executives, customer service representatives, social workers, and mental health professionals.
Course Length: 20 hours