It is a sobering truth, but schools and universities have become places that are susceptible to violence. Students and staff are brought together five days a week where bullying, intolerance, apathy, and exclusion can bring people to the breaking point.
As a result, there’s a high risk of conflict.
Routine interactions with students can cause tempers to flare, and this hazard escalates when school or university staff:
- Articulate incidents
- Manage students and parents
- Manage low and high risk threats
- Supervise and manage staff and students
- Handle students and staff under the influence
- Work with campus and local police
- Handle emotionally disturbed parents and students
- Handle staff and students with special needs
- Handle violent and non-violent intruders
- Manage students and staff issues
These are a few of the many situations where school staff face conflict, which if not handled well, can damage a school or university’s reputation and increase the risk of violence.
Your employees must be able to interact with students in a non-escalatory manner, effectively manage situations that get out of hand, and justify their actions – all with the goal of protecting the school’s reputation.
That’s why we developed Verbal Defense & Influence training programs under the banner of our V-School brand.
Verbal Defense & Influence has been street-tested by police for 28 years, and is the basis of our anti-bullying program, so we understand your specific needs.
We can help develop procedures to standardize conflict response, ensure its defensibility, and prepare your staff to be true protectors of your reputation.
The core principles of the Verbal Defense & Influence communication methodology are essential for training students, faculty, and administrators how to safely and respectfully resolve potentially dangerous situations.
– Jill Weisensel, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI